A green roof can be an oasis in the city landscape.
As land continues to be replaced with impervious surfaces due to population growth and urbanisation, the necessity to recover green space is becoming increasingly critical to maintain environmental quality. Installing green roofs is one option that can reduce the negative impact of development while providing numerous environmental, economic, and social benefits. They can improve stormwater management by reducing runoff and improving water quality, conserve energy, mitigate the urban heat island, increase longevity of roofing membranes, reduce noise and air pollution, sequester carbon, increase urban biodiversity by providing habitat for wildlife, provide space for urban agriculture, provide a more aesthetically pleasing and healthy environment to work and live.
A green roof is a roof surface, flat or pitched, that is planted partially or completely with vegetation and a growing medium over a waterproof membrane. They may be ‘extensive’ and have a thin growing medium (up to 200mm deep) with ‘ground cover’ vegetation, or ‘intensive’ and have soil over 200mm deep supporting vegetation up to the size of trees.
Before & After Parliament House Canberra
- DCT GA 300 extruded polystyrene (XPS) general application board provides excellent performance in roofs, walls and floors in both commercial and residential applications. The boards are rot proof, stable, durable and will have a life equivalent to that of the structure in which they are incorporated.
- ProctorGeo D-Rain DC8 (D-Rain DC8) is a dimpled HDPE sheet that provides an effective material for use as a foundation liner, subbase course or seepage layer in double masonry walls. When used below screed the D-Rain DC8 provides protection from rising damp.
- The D-Rain DC8+ structure effectively captures and transports high volumes of water and resists the loads from earth and formwork.
- ProctorGeo EcoRain® is an innovative technology for subsurface irrigation that can be used for a number of areas that need to be greened.
- ProctorGeo IRMA is designed for use as a separating layer in ballasted or paved Inverted Roof Membrane Assembly (IRMA) flat roofs.
- ProctorGeo Vap120 is a light duty vapour retarder and convection barrier.
- Styrofoam™ RTM-X extruded polystyrene (XPS) thermal insulation distributed by DCTech, is recommended as a core material in sandwich panels for the walls, floors, roofs and doors in refrigerated trucks and containers.
- The tapered roof insulation has a dual purpose in mind, to drain and insulate level roofs.